Disable Google Fonts is a WordPress plugin (download) that stops loading of Open Sans and other fonts used by WordPress and bundled themes (Twenty Twelve, Twenty Thirteen, Twenty Fourteen) from Google Fonts.
There are a couple of reasons why you don’t want to load fonts from Google’s servers:
- privacy and security (Google knows about each page view)
- local development or production (no or limited Internet access)
- availability of Google’s servers (some countries block access to Google)
- language support (these fonts have limited characters support)
- performance (Google’s servers are hit on each page view)
This plugin is a very lightweight, it has no settings, just activate it and it works immediately.
Disable Google Fonts is released under the terms of GNU General Public License. It is completely free so if you find it useful you can give something back to author. Your help could be done by giving donation, sending pull request on GitHub, sending bugs and suggestions, promoting plugin in blogs, forums, social networks, and other websites.